The 718/2 was the first open wheeler Formula Two car produced by Porsche (if we exclude the Behra-Porsche F2) for the 1959 season. It was based onto the sports 718 RSK spyder, with the same traditional Porsche four cylinder 1500 cc engine, placed at the rear. For 1960, the 718/2 received a few detail changes, including an increase of 100mm of the wheel base. The first car produced (chassis number 718201) was entrusted to the private British Rob Walker team, to be driven by Stirling Moss in F2 race events during the whole of the 1960 season. It was of course painted in Rob Walker's colours, dark blue with the distinctive white transversal stripe. The factory will enter two (silver painted) works cars for Jo Bonnier and Graham Hill.
For the first race in Syracuse, Stirling Moss qualified on pole and set fastest lap. The first victory came on 30 April 1960 when Stirling, with its mascot racing number 7, won the Aintree 200 race, with Bonnier and Hill finishing second and third. Needless to say that Porsche took the Formula Two Championship that 1960 year.